Maxine Manara Memorial Scholarship 2013
The Lupus Alliance of LI/Q is very excited to announce our great college scholarship program for people with lupus, as well as young adults whose parents have lupus entitled, The Maxine Manara Memorial College Scholarship Program will be available once again this year.
** The 2013 application can be downloaded by clicking here or you can call our office at 1-800-850-9000 to have an application mailed to you.***
This scholarship is given out once a year in August. You can download the application and send it in now, but please note, the applications are not looked at or decided on until July, 2013. Thank you.
The Maxine Manara Memorial Scholarship Program is named after longtime staff member, Maxine Manara who was very dedicated to helping those with lupus during her years at the Alliance.
In order to qualify for this scholarship please note the following:
- You must be a member in good standing with the Lupus Alliance before your application is sent in. If you are not a member please call to request an application. If you cannot afford a membership, complimentary memberships are available..
- We expect participation in whatever fundraisers throughout the year you and your family are able to, for instance; selling raffles to friends or neighbors, collecting for the walk, purchasing an entertainment book, attending events, etc.
- You must live in Nassau, Suffolk or Queens, NY.
- You must show financial need. For instance, lower than average income, special financial circumstances such as loss of job, high medical expenses etc.
- If you are already in school you must show proof of at least a 3.0 average.
- If the application is for a child who lives at home, proof of both the parents income and the child`s must be shown to the committee.
- You must turn in all requested documents and forms by July 1st, 2013. If an application is received incomplete it will not be reviewed by the committee.
The student must be already attending or has been accepted to an accredited College, University, or Trade School and is working toward a degree. The minimum scholarship award is $500.
Applications require proof of income, and residency as well as a copy of the applicants FAFSA report (you can get a copy of yours online at FAFSA ONLINE.
Once received, your application will be reviewed by the Scholarship committee. Scholarships are awarded every August and the application must be postmarked by July 1st, 2013. The decision of the committee will be e-mailed and U.S. mailed to each applicant by August 30th.
Please remember only a completed application with the requested information will be considered.