Living with Lupus: Coping and Caring Conference
When: Sunday, June 3rd, 2012
Where: Hofstra University - Student Center West
Hempstead Avenue (California Ave. Gate) Hempstead N.Y.
Time: 9:00am - 4:00pm
$10 per person includes, breakfast, lunch, two keynote speeches and all breakout sessions
as well as a thank you bag filled with goodies, valued at over $75.00!
9:00am - 9:30am - Registration and Light Breakfast
- Enjoy a light breakfast, and visit some of our sponsor`s tables as you register for the days events.
9:30am - 10:00am - Welcome & Sera Trials Presentation
- A welcome from the Lupus Alliance of LIQ, and a presentation from Sera Trials, a local biotechnology company that is in need of Lupus patients to donate blood for research projects.
10:15am - 11:15am - Morning Keynote Address
- Benlysta, Everything you need to know: Cathy Poisson, Human Genome Sciences. What is Benlysta? How is it given? How does it work? What are the side effects? Learn everything you need to know to make an informed decision about whether this new lupus drug is right for you.
11:20am - 12:20pm - Morning Breakout Sessions
- Patient Safety & Prevention of Medical Errors: Leslie Farrington, M.D. Family centered training to ensure good outcomes in healthcare. Learn about policies and standards used in the hospital to keep patients safe and how you can help to ensure these standards are met, learn about preparing for the emergency room, surgery and more.
- Cognitive Issues and Lupus: Dr. Meggan Mackay, The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research. What cognitive issues are there in Lupus? What are the symptoms and treatments? What research is being done for CNS Lupus?
- Depression and Lupus: David Troy, Psy.D. What are the causes of depression in Lupus? How is it treated? Learn to recognize the symptoms and how family and friends can help when lupus depression sets in.
12:30pm - 2:20pm - Afternoon Keynote Address, Lunch and Awards
Learn from Brenda Blackmon`s personal story about her daughter`s struggle with Lupus. How does Lupus affect the whole family? What Brenda and her family have learned and how they have coped.
2012 Lupus Alliance of LIQ Service Award Honorees
- Robert Henning
- The Alderman Family
- Chris Dennis
- Esther Arnold
- Christine`s Family & Friends Walk Team
2:25pm - 3:25pm - Afternoon Breakout Sessions
Who qualifies for SSD or SSI? How do you apply? Workplace Issues and disability, what to do, how to protect your rights and more.
- Professional Patient: Christine Miserandino, Owner, ButYouDontLookSick.com. Tips, tricks and talk about what you can do to have a better and more pleasant doctor or hospital visit. If you have to go to the doctors often, you might as well be good at it! Get ready to learn and laugh!
- Lupus and Oral Care: Tenille Phang, D.D.S. Learn what the use of lupus medications such as Plaquenil can do to your teeth and gums. Learn why someone with lupus should have their teeth checked regularly. What can a patient do to minimize the problems associated with lupus when it comes to their oral care.
3:30pm - 4:00pm - Goodbye and Goody Bags
Sponsored by a generous grant provided by: